Frequently Asked Questions
Driving in Iceland is not always easy, and car hire can be confusing. Find out what you need to know about renting a car in Iceland.
- Credit card payment is the best option to pay for your rental vehicle when you book online. Visa, MasterCard, Union Pay, Discovery, Diners Club and JCB are all accepted.
- The only credit card we don't accept is American Express.
- You may also be able to pay by debit card (if the online payment option is available), but a valid credit card must be presented on pick-up.
- We do not hold a deposit during the rental period.
- We just need to see a valid credit card on arrival and will take an imprint of the card as a guarantee.
- Keflavík Airport Office is open 24/7. We offer a complimentary shuttle service from and to the airport, running every hour on the hour.
- Reykjavík Office is open for pick-up on weekdays from 08:30 to 17:00.
- Over weekends we are only open when booked between 08:30 - 17:00.
- Drop-off is allowed 24/7.
- Minimum rental period is 2 days.
- A vehicle can be rented for 2 days and returned early for the price of 2 days.
- You must be at least 21 years old and have had a valid driving license for a minimum of 1 year.
- We are happy to make changes to the booking according to your needs, as long as there is availability for those changes.
- Give us a call or email us at email@example.com and we'll be happy to help.
- Unlimited mileage
- 24% VAT
- Collision damage waiver (CDW)
- Third party insurance (TPL)
- Gravel protection (GP)
- Theft protection (TP)
- Windshield protection (WP)
- While this is for you to decide, we do recommend that you have some form of insurance, even if not purchased directly with us.
- The weather in Iceland is always unpredictable and it's probably the biggest factor leading to accidents or indirect car damage.
- Read more about our insurance options.
- If you need to decline our CDW please send us an email before your arrival or inform our representative when you pick up the car.
- Please note that in the unfortunate event of anything happening to the car during the rental you will have to pay the full cost of repairs and then make a claim to your insurance provider.
- We will be happy to provide any relevant documents for the insurance claim.
- We also recommend that you contact your insurance provider prior to arriving in Iceland and ask them exactly what is covered by your insurance, since many insurers do not cover all incidents and risks.
- Yes. We do not carry other brands so you are guaranteed to get the car you rented and not a cheaper option within the same category. Worst case scenario, you will get an upgrade!
- All our rental cars come equipped with studded winter tires from 1 November to 15 April each year.
- Studded tires are only allowed during this period in accordance with Icelandic laws and regulations.
- MyCar Rental offers 24/7 roadside and breakdown assistance by calling +354 855-1717 or +354 552-1700.
- We have service partners across the country that we use in case of breakdown, accidents, damages, or other incidents that require assistance.
- If a replacement car is needed, MyCar Rental will provide you with a new car as quickly as possible.
- If roadside assistance is required because of a breakdown, accident, damage or other reason that is the driver/renter's responsibility, you will pay any transport/assistance fee.
- The fee for assistance and/or retrieval can vary between 35.000 ISK and 450.000 ISK depending on the location and what type of assistance is required. That is in addition to the damage to the rental car itself.
- This fee is not charged if the assistance can be traced to a breakdown, accident, damage, or other reason that is MyCar Rental's responsibility.
- Drivers license (needs a translation if original license is not in Latin characters)
- Valid credit card
- Passport or photo ID
- Yes, as long as they are valid and can be read by our staff members (in English or with Latin characters).
- If not, make sure you bring an international driving license or translation.
- We accept the following: Visa, MasterCard, Union Pay, Discovery, Diners Club and JCB.
- The only credit card we don't accept is American Express.
- We accept debit cards for payment of the booking
- But we will also need credit card details for insurance purposes.
- You can check the weather in and around Iceland via the Icelandic Met Office.
- We also recommend Safe Travel Iceland for road safety and travel advice in Iceland.
- Yes, you need to pay for parking wherever there is a parking zone.
- We recommend getting the Parka app. Available for Android and Apple, it is the most widely accepted parking app.
- Þingvellir Parking is the only location not covered by Parka. Here, payment can be made on site or online at www.checkit.is
- We'll receive an email informing us of the fine and will charge the credit card linked to the rental. Fines are usually 2.500 ISK or more.
- If there is availability then, of course.
- Give us a call or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to assist you.
- Yes, our fuel policy is full-to-full
This is not necessary. We'll clean the vehicle after the rental.
- Keflavík Airport Office is open 24/7 and you can drop-off at any time. We offer a complimentary shuttle service between the airport and our office which runs every hour on the hour.
- Reykjavík Office is open weekdays between 08:30 and 17:00 but you can drop-off a vehicle at any time.
- Outside opening hours we offer a keydrop. There is a mail slot on the front door where keys can be deposited.
- Unfortunately we can't refund for early returns.
Extras and accessories
- Not at all, but it can save you and your travel companions money on data plans during your trip.
- It is a portable device, that can be used anywhere, in and outside of the vehicle.
- It has unlimited data.
- The battery should hold charge for about 5 hours.
- You can connect up to 10 devices to the router.
- It can be charged in the vehicle or with any USB charger.
- Only some vehicles have in-built GPS.
- We always recommend using Google Maps in Iceland because it has the most consistent GPS.
- Vehicles that don't offer built-in GPS: Toyota Yaris, Yaris Cross, Land Cruiser, Hilux, Proace City and Proace Verso.
- For these vehicles we offer an Garmin GPS for 1.500 ISK per day.
- A roof box can only be added to the Toyota Land Cruiser.
- All of the vehicles have at least 1 USB Port (different models have either a USB A or USB C port)
- Some vehicles also offer wireless charging.
- All roads that are formally open for traffic by the Icelandic Road Authorities.
- Yes, but with care.
- The risk is always yours, no insurance covers any damage caused by crossing rivers (damages can cost thousands of euros/dollars).
- Do NOT enter the river where it seems calm – this is a sign of deep water.
- Plan the route you are going to take before entering the water and drive slow (5 km/h) and steady. Do not change gears while in the water.
- If you’re unsure about crossing a river then don’t do it, just turn around.
- Find out more about river crossing here: https://safetravel.is/highland-driving
- The vehicles we allow on F-Roads are: Toyota RAV4, Toyota Hilux and the Toyota Land Cruiser.
- Even though Toyota Yaris Cross, Toyota Corolla Cross and Toyota Highlander are 4x4, their ground clearance is really low. They are not suitable for Highland Roads because these roads are hard to drive and non-serviced.
- The best vehicle for these roads is the modified Land Cruiser LX with a snorkel air intake, raised suspension and 33 inch tires.
- Address: Vatnagarðar 12, 104 Reykjavík.
- The office is located in a dark blue aluminum building.
- The entrance and parking lot are both to the left of the building (enter through a white door). Our logo is on the top of the building and in the window next to the door.
- We are the closest car rental to Skarfabakki Harbour.
- The best way to reach us is on foot (15 minute walk) or via taxi. We recommend Hreyfill Taxi (+354 588 5522).
- Unfortunately we don't offer the shuttle service in Reykjavík.
- Yes, the vehicle must be parked in the parking lot in front of our office. There is a mail slot on the front door where you can post the keys.
- Taxi is usually the quickest way to reach us.
Keflavík Airport Office
- No, you can find us on the other side of the airport in Keilisbraut 771, 262 Reykjanesbær.
- We offer a shuttle bus from the airport to our office and vice versa.
- We will reach out to you a few days before the pick-up time to confirm your flight details and arrival time.
- the shuttle bus runs from our office on the hour every hour.
- It runs from the airport 20 minutes past the hour.
- We will meet you in the arrivals hall, near the orange information desk.
- Look out for our driver holding a sign with our company name and logo.
We are open 24/7 all year around.